Pregnancy ticker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

embryo transferred

Wednesday saw an embryo transferred and seven frozen. This is an unbelievable result by all accounts and I feel elated. The funny thing is I feel more relieved that seven are on ice than that one has been transferred. I guess because it won't feel real until we get a positive pregnancy result and with seven embryo's on ice I hopefully will not have to go through the whole egg collection process again.

I met a lady today who had 20 eggs collected (I can't imagine the pain she must have been in) and all were dud's. Although a subsequent egg collection with one embryo transferred saw her have two healthy twin boys. That is what you have to remind yourself makes it worth it.

The day of the embryo transfer we had to be at the clinic which is on the North Shore by 9.30am. So that we weren't held up by peak time traffic we set out quite early, and suprisingly the traffic was not so bad so we had an hour to spare, and decided to call into my parents house for a cup of tea. We didn't quite get the reception we expected, as my dad was in hospital with suspected kidney stones, and mum had not slept well. It was a relief for us that he arrived home as we were leaving for the clinic. We could now focus on our mission.

We pulled into the carpark at the clinic at the same time as my doctor. 15 minutes later and he was instructing us on the procedure to implant the embryo, first job being for me to remove clothes from the bottom half and for both of us to gown up (including a lovely head cap like as if you were going for surgery, and a pair of 'overshoes') and enter the room in which the tranfer would take place when we were ready. We thought that when we come out, we should get a photo, but we forgot (thankfully!). At this stage there was only one embryo ready, at the blastocyst stage. I was devastated, all that pain for one, but I was reminded they only needed one and this one was a good one, and give the others 24 hours and I could have some for freezing. Dr P was very positive this embryo was going to do the job. The process probably took all of 15 minutes with confirmation of name and birthdate (of me... NOT what this baby will be called) about three times, a viewing of the embryo on a monitor with strong magnification, placement of the catheter, release of the embryo and reexamination of the catheter to ensure that the embryo was no longer inside.

Hatched Blastocyst
Originally uploaded by lounbern

Then it was home to bed as I had woken with a cold that morning and I was hoping not to let it take hold. If I didn't have a cold I could have done whatever I liked it would make no difference to the outcome.

No success regarding the cold, it has really taken hold. We shall find out if we have had success on the baby front on 23 June.

3 comments:

Maribeth said...

I've got fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that´s great that you´ve got seven frozen, though I really hope you won´t need them. :)Looking forward to the 23rd!

carmilevy said...

I'm praying for a happy outcome for you all. How cool that you've chosen to share it via this blog!